Seo Instant 3rd Party Backlink Indexing for Google

Sri Lankan Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa resigned Monday following weeks of protests demanding that he and the president, his brother, step down over the country’s worst economic crisis in decades, an official said.

Rajapaksa said on Twitter that he submitted his resignation to President Gotabaya Rajapaksa. There was no immediate official confirmation from the president’s office.

The resignation comes after authorities deployed armed troops in the capital, Colombo, on Monday following an attack earlier in the day by government supporters on protesters who have been camped outside the offices of the president and prime minister.

The violence triggered widespread anger, with people attacking government supporters in many parts of the country. Homes of some government ministers and politicians supporting the Rajapaksas were attacked and some set on fire.

The island nation off southern India is on the brink of bankruptcy and has suspended payments on its foreign loans. Its economic woes have brought on a political crisis, with the government facing widespread protests and a no-confidence motion in Parliament. Trade unions also called Monday for a general strike until the president and the rest of his ruling family leave.

The president has so far refused to resign, and Parliament must go through a difficult process if it attempts to oust him. The resignation of the prime minister means that the entire Cabinet is dissolved.

Supporters of the prime minister rallied inside his office earlier Monday, urging him to ignore the protesters’ demand to step down. Rajapaksa told them in a meeting that he was used to protests and revolts and would not run away from challenges.

After the gathering, the Rajapaksa supporters went to the front of the office where protesters have been demonstrating for several days. Television channel Sirasa showed government supporters attacking protesters with clubs and iron bars, demolishing and then burning their tents.

The attack occurred despite a state of emergency declared by the president Friday, which gives him wide powers for riot control.

After demolishing the protest site opposite the prime minister’s residence, the crowd of government supporters proceeded to the entrance to the president’s office. Riot police were deployed with tear gas launchers and several water cannons, but did not use them and let the pro-government demonstrators breach several barriers and march toward the president’s office, where they attacked anti-government protesters and set their camps on fire.

Police fired tear gas and a water cannon, but not forcefully enough to disperse the crowd.

After the attack, hundreds of armed soldiers were deployed in Colombo as the protesters accused police of not preventing the assault, despite using tear gas and water cannons on the protesters themselves as recently as Friday.

Sirasa TV showed government lawmaker Sanath Nishantha among the government supporters who attacked the protesters.

At the main hospital in Colombo, 23 people were admitted with non-critical injuries, an official said on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to speak to the media.

Two days after Russian forces invaded Ukraine, the World Health Organization issued a global request: The war-torn country needed doctors, nurses and EMTs with experience in complex emergencies.

Within days, a 22-person group from Team Rubicon, an international disaster-response nonprofit based near Los Angeles International Airport, flew to Krakow, Poland.

The team of doctors, nurses and other skilled professionals drove rented cars about 160 miles to the border. They crossed on foot into Ukraine, where a fleet of vehicles was waiting. Splitting up into smaller groups, they fanned out across the western reaches of the country, visiting hospitals and field clinics.

Team Rubicon has since sent three waves of replacements to Ukraine. Each team has been carefully selected, a key step in the relief effort. Thousands of people around the world want to help in Ukraine, but they don’t have the skills, experience or credentials to work with an international aid organization.

As it’s done in communities in need from Mississippi to Mozambique since its founding 12 years ago, Team Rubicon expects to continue to fuel the response effort in Ukraine for as long as its teams are welcome and can be of assistance.

From a windowless underground bunker in western Ukraine in late March, Dr. Erica Nelson and Dan Freiberg, their faces illuminated only by the light of a laptop screen, gave a live update on their activities while air raid sirens blared above.

As Team Rubicon’s deputy medical director and team lead, respectively, they were part of the organization’s first medical response squad dispatched to Ukraine for three weeks beginning in early March.

Back to top button